WEDNESDAY: Morning snow. Total accumulations 2 to 3" along and north of I-72. Windy and much colder. High: 37. Winds: North 25-30 mph, gusting to 45 mph.
WEDNESDAY NIGHT: Partly cloudy and cold. Low: 24. Winds: North 10-15 ...
For even more recipes, View Our Recipe Archives
Quinoa and Chicken Soup
Made by: Brian Tucker - Richland Community College
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onion, chopped
� cup parsnip, chopped
� cup carrot, chopped
� cup celery, chopped
6 each garlic cloves, minced
� teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, � pieces
8 cups chicken broth, low sodium
1 teaspoon kosher salt
� teaspoon black pepper
1 cup uncooked quinoa
4 cups kale, chopped
1. Heat half of the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion, parsnip, carrot and celery. Saute the vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 1 additional minute. Remove the vegetable mixture from the pan and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the same pot and add the chicken pieces. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until the chicken is browned and cooked through.
3. Add the vegetable mixture to the pot along with the chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Meanwhile rinse the quinoa in a fine strainer. Once the broth has come to a boil add the quinoa. Cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Add the chopped kale and parsley, and simmer uncovered for 3 minutes or until the kale is tender. Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
This recipe aired January 13, 2014.